Little grandson and 'Baby'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little grandson and 'Baby'

My youngest grandson, just 21 months, started to play with a teddy we have here some time ago. I pretended to give teddy a drink from GS's cup and he loved that and would imitate me So I bought him a doll's feeding bottle and cup and he fed teddy every week. A while ago I asked OH to bring down GD's old Baby Annabel doll next time she was in the loft. Now teddy has the bottle and the baby doll the cup.
    He loves the Baby as he calls her and feeds her, gives her her dummy and was delighted the first time I undressed baby to show him she has a nappy like his! He likes me to dress and undress the doll and take it's nappy on and off. He plays with her for part of the day every week. I will get OH to bring down the doll's cot and changing bag next time she is up there.
    GD loved dolls and we have all the accessories for baby dolls here, and lots of Barbie and Disney Princess dolls and clothes.

We did have the baby doll around for the other 2 boys for a while but neither showed much interest. GS2 of course had access to dolls at home having a sister. DD1 bought GS1 a baby doll and buggy and he played with it for day or so then didn't bother. GS3 loves Baby
    He doesn't have a doll at home and seeing how keen he is here DD said she would put one on his birthday list. I have ordered him a Little Alexander doll (Boy version of Baby Annabel) and a blue and pink buggy for his birthday. That was the nearest to unisex I could find as most dolls/teddies pushchairs and prams are very pink.

“A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Neither of our grandaughters ever bothered with dolls.

Tommie has got a rabbit that he's had since he was born and he calls it baby.
    He doesn't interact with it, just carries it around by one ear.
    Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

I think when I was little nobody would dream of giving a boy a doll. My No1 GD is very much into dolls and anything to do with dolls but her brother was never interested in dolls of any kind. they are all different.
      What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

We were a very doll loving family

My mum loved dolls, so did I, my 3 DDs and my GD. As I said GS's 1 and 2 took no interest in them.
        GS3 enjoys Teddy and doll, cars, musical toys, building blocks, shape sorters... He has a varied play interest!
        ​​​​​
        “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

It's fascinating to see what small children like and enjoy playing with. Gem, it looks as though your GS3 is role modelling the care he received from all the family. I think it's lovely that he is aware of how he's cared for and wants to do the same. I felt our two boys they didn't have this kind of experience, so we got them Action Men - just one each. DS1 hardly even looked at his. DS2 did play with his but not for long. GS2 had a soft toy he's had from birth, and it still lives on his pillow. Neither GDs had the slightest interested in dolls, but GD2 brings a couple of soft toys when she stays here - they always sleep with her.

I had a few dolls when I was little, but I didn't play with them much, and it was mostly making them do acrobatics! I really envied my friend next door (a boy) because he had Meccano and could build things like cranes with it!
          "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

My GS’s had dolls and a push chair they played with, my own DS had a bean bag doll called Jack we still have him in the loft.
            GD never liked baby dolls but liked her Barbies.
            My DD wasn’t a doll person she preferred cars.

Nothing wrong with a boy having a doll they play with anything at nursery so why not at home 😊
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

That's right Oma, children play with whatever they like at nursery. When I worked in the playgroup one little boy came in and immediately put on the the (traditional style) nurses outfit and cap from the dressing up box. He just went about his morning with that dress, apron and cap on It went on for many months then he got bored of it.

Daisy. I never thought of it as GS reflecting his own care. He doesn't know any younger babies and doesn't see any at nursery as he is in the toddler room, so I was surprised he knew anything about baby care!

Comment

This photo of Oliver , GS 1 picked the pushchair when we went to Asda one day , GS chose the doll , so they both had a say in it , it was well loved
                Many years ago you wouldn’t dream of giving a boy a doll yet it was acceptable for a girl to play with cars , Not fair when you think about it.
                Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Gem, I think he's a very intelligent little boy and takes on board everything he sees and hears.

Oma, I agree. Why shouldn't children play with whatever toys they want. There was quite a lot of publicity a few years ago about gender issues with toys, in the sense that they should be gender-neutral, and also pink versus blue. I don't know what happened but I haven't seen anything about it recently.
                  "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                  X