Daughter and baby's sleepover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughter and baby's sleepover

As most of you know my DD3 has had a lot of problems since the birth of my GS3, 7 weeks ago.

On Monday SIL went back to work. As well as his 6 weeks planned paternity week he had to take another week off due to DD having unplanned surgery and myself and one of her sisters being out of the country so unable to help.

As DD still had a breast drain in place and was unable to lift or hold the baby, help was needed. The plan was for them to spend Monday and Tuesday here. SIL dropping them off on Monday on his way to work. My only commitment in that time was to collect GS1 from school on Tuesday, give him his tea and keep him until about 6.40.
    I suggested DD and baby stay over on the Monday night. SIL has been doing all the night feeds as DD was unable to and I wanted him to have a break.
    DD and SIL were happy with this suggestion

I drove DD to her midday hospital appointment of Monday. DD and I EVENTUALLY worked out how to get the pram and chassis (put in by SIL) out of my car and assembled! GS3 and I had a walk and ended up in the park. He fell asleep so I had a sit on a bench until DD phoned to say she was out. Thank goodness this time the drain was removed. The surgeon was pleased with things and she she doesn't have to go back. She was given some dressings and told it was fine to shower and get the wound wet now.

DD enjoyed the first proper shower and hair wash back or ours so much. She said she didn't want to get out!

DD can now hold and feed baby, although she still has to be careful until the wounds heals fully.

I had offered to have the baby all night and I kept that promise. Although DD could technicality do it as the drain was out, it was such early days and I wanted to give her a rest.

DD went to bed around 10pm. I fed the baby just before 11, changed and put him to bed and I went too. OH slept in the other spare room. It's impossible to do a bottle feed and nappy change in the dark and there was no point us both being disturbed. I fed him again at 3.40 and about 6.45. He was easy to settle back down each time.
    I hardly slept however as he makes all sorts of noises in his sleep and of course I was on alert for him waking!

OH and DD gave him his next feeds so everyone got a turn

OH went off to play golf, and DD treated me to lunch in my favourite cafe in the village. We walked down, had lunch and had a bit of a walk before coming home. Baby was angelic the whole time.
    I went off to collect GS1 from school and DD prepared to give the baby his next feed.
    We had kept this visit a secret for GS1, so he was surprised and delighted to see his auntie and cousin. He loves the baby very much.

SIL arrived back from work obviously delighted to see his baby who he had missed very much.
    Eventually everything that goes with overnight stays with small babies was packed in to the car, SIL1 also arrived to collect GS1 and everyone left. It was my turn to cook but luckily I had chosen an easy meal.
    I watched some TV but was too tired to watch much. I went to bed at 10.30, read for a very short time and had a good night's sleep!

Night time feeds take some getting used to, but it was lovely to have them both here. If it wasn't that they live close and I will see them soon I would have felt very sad to say goodbye to them!

“A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Gem, I'm sure both your DDs and SIL3 were incredibly grateful for your timely help. Your poor DD has had such a hard time for 7 long weeks, let's hope that from now on she will get better and better, but I'm sure you will be in as much demand to spend time with Baby e as you are with his cousins.

Much as we all love our babies, they are incredibly hard work.

Had he changed much while you were away?

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Daisy he has 'filled out' and is chubbier, and pinker!
      His new hair is growing in but there are couple of weird longer darker tufts of the hair he was born with
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gem, glad everything worked out well. I'm sure it must have DD and SIL good.
        Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

That first sleep over although tiring is absolutely lovely ,
          GS2 used to make little snuffling and grunting noises , your on high alert aren’t you 😁

DD and SILl will have appreciated a good nights sleep both with beds to themselves 😁
          Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma's post reminded me when GS1 was a couple of months old we rented a house in Devon and DS1, DIL and baby came and stayed with us for a week. I slept in the spare room with GS1 so the exhausted parents could get some sleep. They both looked a lot better after a couple of days, or nights.
            "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
            X