Pocket money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pocket money

I give my granddaughter a small amount of pocket money each week. I began when she was 7, so her cousin will get his from October.

They had been discussing pocket money at school. The teacher asked who got pocket money, children put up their hands. Then he asked what they got it for. GD told me she then put her hand down.
    I told her she didn't have to put her hand down, because she could have said she gets it for being a fabulous granddaughter . She laughed at that, but said she wanted to do something to earn the money.
    Although I pointed out that she often helped me by amusing her little brother, but she wanted to do more.

I don't really like children having chores to do, but I appreciate her wanting to do it.
    DD said GD told her she didn't think it was fair that she took the money for nothing.

So, any suggestions for jobs for her? She's 9.

​​​​All I can think of is leaving our clean socks for her to pair up each week.
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

I think it’s lovely that she wants to do something for you, our GC often did little things for us for pocket money. The socks idea is good, or helping to fold clean clothes. Our GD loved to dust so a few minutes with the duster and she was happy 🙂
    "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr Seuss

Comment

Good idea Enfys! We have a feather duster so she may enjoy that.
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

What a lovely little girl, wanting to earn her pocket money.

Do you have a dishwasher? If so emptying that is a useful but not major job. Summer's coming, so what about deadheading flowers.

You could vary the job(s) from week to week.

I don't give pocket money regularly but I pay them for 'special' jobs, plus little presents for effort or achievement at school or in hobbies etc.
        "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

We don't give pocket money as such , each week by direct debit money goes into all three bank accounts ,
          Have done this since the day each was born , so they each have a few thousand in their banks now, various amounts due to age gaps ,
          We do give them cash for events or special treats , and holiday spending money ,
          We also give the two youngest a £5 or £10 when they come over as we don't see them so often and cant buy them anything .

I think dusting or organising the cats treats cupboard is a light job she could do Gem or leave the spare room floor for her to hoover , in the summer it could be her job to water a few plant pots
          Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Thanks ladies, all great suggestions.
            I have enough ideas now to vary it from week to week

Comment

We always give the youngest one pocket money. She gets £10 a week from us.
              We don't buy her anything when we go away,we give her money instead.
              When she comes she always make sure here bedroom is cleaned,and helps to tidy up when we have had a meal.
              Used to give the eldaest one pocket money when was little, but her and her partner are both working full time.
              Now,we always treat them to spending money when they are going on holiday.
              If they are taking her partners daughter we like to treat her as well.
              Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

We pay into GS's bank account and it's there for him to choose what to do with. He usually gets some money when we see him too.He always seems to know what he wants to spend his money on when we go shopping. Knows exactly what he wants and won't be happy with a substitution!
                Believe you can and you're halfway there.
                Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

WeeGranny - your GS knows his own mind! Good for him.

We give the GS money when they go on holiday, but the GDs don't get a chance to go away, so we make it up in different ways.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Daisy...he certainly does know his own mind, but.....it's a nightmare going shopping with him. Last October we went to the big shopping outlet at Wembley because he wanted to get something from one of the big sport shops outlet, but they didn't have what he wanted. Traipsed in and out of most of the shops there! Came back to High Wycombe and found what he wanted in the first shop we went into!
                    Believe you can and you're halfway there.
                    Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

I don’t give my GC pocket money on a regular basis but I tend to give the older two (aged 19 and 17) a note, usually a £20 when I see them to put towards something for themselves. They are both in full time education. I treat the little one more frequently, but that is usually a small gift, or something he is collecting eg football stickers. He earns pocket money from his parents by doing jobs eg laying and clearing the table, loading/unloading the dishwasher and generally helping out.
                      Always face the sunshine and the shadows fall behind you.

Comment

WeeGranny, but I'm sure you had a wonderful time traipsing round the big shopping outlet first!! At least he found what he wanted eventually.

Sunshine - I'm sure all your GCs appreciate what you give them. It's lovely GS2 earns his pocket money with helpful little jobs, bless him.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                        X