Birthday present etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday present etiquette

My question is, if you are invited to a joint birthday party for a friend and their friend, who you have never met, should you take a present for the one you don't know?
    My gut instinct is no, but probably just give her a card, saying we are J's friends, under our signature.
    I find it hard enough knowing what to buy for the one we do know let alone the one we don't!

What would you do in this situation, please?
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

My first thought was the same as yours - just a card is fine! If you would feel awkward if others bought for both then buy something and leave it in your bag if it isn’t needed. A small fancy box of truffles from Thorntons wouldn’t take up much room and you get to scoff them yourselves if they’re not needed!
    xx

Comment

I agree with Shem, but also think it might depend on the venue. If it was at the house (or hospitality) of the unknown person, then I would take flowers or chocolates for that person as well as a card.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I agree just a card but have a back up token gift in your bag ,
        You don't know what this person likes so it would be hard to decide on chocs or wine ,Or a Candle, but something you could use if you don't give it .

I have often had bottles of wine bought for me and as you know I don't drink but people don't know that who don't know me well .
        We did a favour for a neighbour last year a bit of a emergency and about a week later they brought a huge box of chocolates over to say thank you , not knowing im Diabetic .

So I would play safe after all this person probably doesn't expect a gift from a stranger anyway .
        Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Thanks everyone. I too wouldn't expect a gift from people I didn't know if I had a joint party.
          I will check the invitation (it's been on the fridge for ages!) Daisy but I think it is a venue, rather than anyone's home.
          So hard as you say Oma, to buy a gift with knowing nothing, I always think I am very easy to buy for, there is little I don't like or can't have.
          Many don't like scented candles, can't eat chocolates, don't drink, don't wear jewellery, allergic to flowers.... the list of possibilities goes on!
          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gem I would give a card and also in my hand bag I would have a back up present of a gift card. The Visa prepaid is good . You can use it in any shop that accepts bank cards and it can be used on line also.
            If you don’t give the gift card to the person you have a card that you can make use of so you won’t have wasted any money!
            Bring me sunshine in your smile.

Comment

Yes, maybe a card,and a little back up gift, in case its needed.
              Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Could you give a joint present instead of not giving to the person you don't know? Maybe something for the garden that they could both enjoy? Separate cards, but both names on the gift tag?
                Believe you can and you're halfway there.
                Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

Working...
                X