sending love

to dear Daisy and her family
See more
See less

Invasion!

Collapse
X

Invasion!

We had a bit of excitement yesterday. We were invaded!

Our road has cattle grids at each end, meaning that livestock that live in the Forest can't get into our road. There are also stock proof gates on all the footpaths that lead into our road.

But this was no obstacle to a litter of piglets who we think were able to get under one of the gates and make their way into the road, where there was plenty of mischief laid on for them as it was bins day. They were having great fun, running round, snuffling in the bin bags and generally causing mayhem.

Eventually the Agister came and with help from various residents rounded them up and took them back onto the Forest. I'm sure they will find their way back before they are taken off the Forest in December.
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Did Eva see them Daisy? I bet she wondered what all the strange noises were! Must have been some tasty treats in the rubbish bags!
    Believe you can and you're halfway there.
    Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

So that was your excitement for yesterday.
      I would have loved to see the invasion.
      Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

WeeGranny, no Eva didn't see them, luckily. She always goes out into our cul de sac when OH is putting the bins out, and on Friday OH stood chatting with a neighbour for quite a while. I happened to see Eva standing on the grass verge looking very hard in the direction of the piglets so I'm sure she could hear or smell them, but she didn't go and investigate.

One family videoed their cat's reaction to seeing a piglet though, and it was hilarious. If looks could kill they could have had pork chops for dinner!

Nanto, we all love seeing the pigs and their babies snuffling round at this time of year. But you do have to keep away from them - their behaviour is often less than cute!
        "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Oh how exciting!
          My GS2, great animal lover, would have loved to see that Daisy
          I would have loved to have seen the cat's reaction!
          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Aww so cute , we still laugh at the shock of seeing pigs running down the grass verge in front of us on the way to your house
            So funny to see 😁🐖🐷🐽
            Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma, I suppose there aren't many places in this country where you see pigs wandering round on the roads! They are turned out in the autumn to eat the acorns and beech masts.

Gem, your GS2 would love the New Forest. There's something different going on with the animals every day, and I still find it fascinating to watch them all.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

There is a common not too far from us. OH regularly drives through there to get to her golf club. Sheep everywhere and often on the verges and even the roads. You get used to seeing them, but they cause a stir to drivers who are unused to this!
                “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I love visiting the New Forest Daisy
                  What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Plant, we'd welcome you any time. xx

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

We had roast pig yesterday.

Was mother pig in evidence Daisy? It must have been hilarious to see. 😆
                      No little piglets running amok here, only learner drivers!
                      Women are like tea bags; you never know how strong they are until they are put in hot water.
                      Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Grauntie, no nobody mentioned seeing the sow - she was probably too big to get under a gate!

These little piggies become very valuable animals. They've fattened up on acorns and their meat is called pannage pork and is mostly sold to the top class restaurants locally. Pannage is the ancient Forest right of turning pigs out to pasture.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

That’s an interesting fact Daisy. Are they left in the forest at night too?
                          Women are like tea bags; you never know how strong they are until they are put in hot water.
                          Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Grauntie - yes, they stay out night and day like all the animals who are grazed in the Forest. It's very dangerous for them on the roads though, especially at night, and at least two piglets have been in fatal accidents already this season.

A lot of the ponies wear reflective collars, but it's not compulsory and not all owners are willing to spend the money.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                            X